Shifting your ageing loved one to separate age care is like moving them to a more comfortable home suited to care for their needs. Finding the best residential aged care facility might be confusing, but don’t worry, we’re here to walk you through some vital information to help simplify things by assisting you with what to look for, what to avoid, and key highlights you must look for while searching for residential aged care.
A good place to kickstart a residential aged care search is this…
Choosing the appropriate residential aged care facility is like buying a new home for yourself. Think about the amenities and the lifestyle you, as an individual, would want in your living space. This can help you shortlist some of the many aged care facilities around you.
- Create a Wishlist that includes the location, accommodation style, amenities, and social activities. This helps you identify the kind of life and the lifestyle you were brought up in to narrow your search.
- Identify the services provided by the aged care in your chosen locale. You can gain insights from your friends or neighbours or do a quick google search to find senior care in your area.
- Shortlist the aged care centres with your required services and contact them to arrange for a visit. Even the residential aged care in Adelaide is a good place to start.
- Question them as much as possible to get reliable information. For example, you can enquire about the staff ratio and observe their roles and interactions with residents.
Alongside this, check the social interaction rates and the activity schedule and ask questions on how much this is encouraged. Finally, ask yourself these questions:
- What’s your take on the environment, and how will your loved one react to it?
- Is the team giving you a comfortable feel to speak to them?
- Are they attentive?
- What’s their interest in caring for senior citizens?
- Are the other residents happy in the aged care in your encounter?
- Do you get the vibes of a homely feeling in your tour of the aged care?
- Are the living and bedroom spacious?
- What kind of activities happen around aged care?
- Keep track of the costs and the additional charges and test whether they are worth the facilities availed by the aged care. If you’re unsure how to fit the rates into your budget, consult a qualified financial planner to help you out.
Questions you must consider asking the residential aged care before choosing:
Here are some carefully compiled questions you must keep handy in your aged care search while touring aged care Adelaide or any other aged care you choose. This can be daunting initially, but once you find the best care for your loved one, you can assure yourself and your family benefitted the most.
- Is there a resident-focus care approach?
- Are there registered medical staff with around-the-clock support and a visiting resident GP?
- Safety and security are top priorities in residential aged care. So does the residence offer a secured surrounding?
- In case of an emergency, where is the closest emergency department from the aged care?
- Food is crucial to living a healthy and long life. So, what meals are provided, and where are they cooked from? Is there a weekly meal planner?
- Visitors are the source of joy to aged loved ones in aged care. So what is the policy for visitors and the visiting hours?
- How does the team deal with residents with dementia or high care, complex, and palliative care levels?
- What are the payment options and offers provided by aged care?
- Is there an exit or refurbishment cost for residents leaving the room?
- Are there any present changes in the fee structure course? Are there any additional service fees? What are the lifestyles offered by aged care for different fee structures?
Now it’s time to choose one…
Don’t worry about the difficulty you face in choosing the proper residential aged care facility. First, ensure you make an informed decision and understand the importance of aged care homes. Then, follow these guidelines, do a lot of research, and think a lot to get your loved one the best care.
But it’s highly recommended that you initially track their lifestyle in an aged care home. If they appear satisfied and comfortable, it’s a perfect sign that they are sure to become permanent residents!